Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Jury Duty

As a potential juror, I listened carefully while the judge questioned the jury candidates. Following his introductory guidelines, most people had no trouble responding. But one man handled the queries in his own way. "If you were picked for this jury, do you think you could follow instructions?" the judge asked. "Why, yes, I think I could, Your Honor," the man responded. "I've been married for 40 years."


Have you ever had to serve on jury duty? I have been in the jury pool twice. One case was a drunk driving case and I didn't make the final 12 jurors. The other case was practicing medicine without a license and I made the final 12 jurors, but the trial was over quickly. The man in question represented himself and proved himself guilty in about half an hour. We didn't get to deliberate. The judge pronounced him guilty and it was over.
I've always wanted to be a juror on an important case. There is something facinating about it; power and judgement. Maybe it will still happen some day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home